In the past few blog posts, I have praised social media and talked about it's positive influence on the fashion industry. Yes, social media is shaping the fashion industry in ways we never thought possible. With the help of social media and the platforms we have made a part of our everyday lives, we can now purchase items directly off Instagram, or see behind the scenes footage at any fashion show we want. So although all of these are great and experiential for the consumer, we have failed to see any negative aspects of social media in the fashion industry.
Iphones, Galxaxy S5's, Androids.... it's rare that any mobile phone comes without a camera in our world today, and this has become a big problem for fashion weeks around the world. Social media reports from London, Milan, New York and Paris consisted of blurred pictures on Twitter where a viewer could barely make out the clothes or even the model wearing them on the runway. One writer commented on this topic and said, "The urge to post anything and everything linked to a fashion event has become frenzied, hysterical and masturbatory." Although technology has improved immensely over the past decade, smart phones that are equipped with cell phones are not designed to shoot fast-moving objects under high contrast lighting (see pictures below).
A designer spends weeks on a single garment. A collection is made up of twenty plus garments, and this has to be done twice a year. The low-fi, poor quality images taken on smartphones is somewhat disrespectful to the designer who spent so much time putting together the brilliant collection that in a matter of seconds is being shared around the world via blown out and blurred pictures.
So now the question is, should phones be banned at fashion shows? There was a time when phones weren't allowed at fashion shows, and only one photographer was allowed to record the event. By banning phones and keeping it simple, the fashion industry may be able to preserve the timelessness of each garment that makes an appearance on the runway, as well as give each designer the respect they deserve.
http://www.businessoffashion.com/2014/03/cameraphones-killing-fashion.html

Hello Samantha,
ReplyDeleteI have focused my own blog around the fashion industry as well, specifically targeted on bloggers. I agree that people publishing these blurred photos is probably annoying and potentially problematic for the look some designers are trying to portray. However, I think it has become very convenient and favorable for smart phones to have entered the live runways, specially when the phone is in the right hands. Many prominent bloggers are personally invited to these shows solely for them to use their social media platforms and share the new designs with the world. Although I believe you have a valid point, I think smart phones have become more beneficial for the fashion world in the long run.
Reading your post I could't help to think on how phones have also destroyed human interaction. It's not uncommon to see people sitting at a restaurant completely consumed by what's on their phone, instead of having actual conversation with the human-being across from them. I honestly think it's pathetic and therefore think there are also other situations in which phones should also be banned.
ReplyDeleteI thought this was an interesting take on smart phones. We always seem to only emphasize all the positive things smart phones and social media have contributed. I totally agree that posting the low quality pictures takes away from the beauty and detail of the garment. They take away from the artist's work and that kind of defeats the purpose of fashion. However, using social media to post these photos and talk about the event does raise awareness and start conversations about the fashion. I guess its a matter of weighing the positives with the negatives.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting point I haven't thought about! I take photos on my phone a lot for concert marketing, but this is a completely different field. A blurred photo of a show may represent your experience at the show. However, a blurred photo of a design that took hours of hard work and thought is not representative of the experience. One's design could so easily be affected and misconstrued when a bad photo gets in the hands of someone with a large presence, especially when pictures can spread across the world in minutes due to social media. I believe fashion is an art form, and we should leave the photography to the artists trained in that area, who can best capture the designs and energy of the event.
ReplyDelete